About the National Federation of the Blind of Maryland
The National Federation of the Blind of Maryland (NFBMD), an affiliate of the National Federation of the Blind, is an organization that believes in the full capacity of blind people, and has the power, influence, diversity and determination to help transform our dreams into reality. Members work together for a brighter tomorrow by raising expectations so that blind persons can have the life they want.
Who We Are
The National Federation of the Blind of Maryland is a 501c(3) nonprofit made up of blind people of all ages, their families and friends. Our strong local chapters and divisions, and well-trained leaders help newly blind people adjust to vision loss, and promote the full participation and integration of blind people in our communities. We bring our collective experiences together to effect change at the state and national level.
What We Do
- Assist blind persons to acquire the skills of independence
- Build the confidence of blind persons through service opportunities
- Foster leadership of blind persons through participation in the annual convention and organizational responsibilities
- Encourage senior citizens to pursue a meaningful life
- Promote the achievement of blind students through educational and training scholarships
- Provide specialized information for diabetics losing their vision
- Support parents and friends of the blind to understand the capabilities of the blind
- Protect and promote the rights of blind persons
- Advocate for policies that eliminate discrimination and guarantee equal access to educational programs and high quality rehabilitation and training services
- Educate the public through seminars, community activities and publications